2008-08-05

Sleuth


Release Year: 2007
Starring: Michael Caine & Jude Law
Directed by: Kenneth Branagh
Written by: Harold Pinter
IMDB: 6.4 (5,656 votes)
RT: 35% (111 reviews)
Metacritic: 49 (30 reviews)

There was another movie with the same title with Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine in it. Caine played Milo Tindle in the 1972 movie while Olivier played as Andrew Wyke. In the 2007 version, Caine played as Andrew Wyke while Jude Law fill in the role of Milo Tindle. The movie began simply with Milo’s arrival at Wyke’s residence asking Wyke to divorce his wife so that Tindle could marry her. The two soon involved in a match of wits.

The name of the game is a match of wits between two men (there were no other human around, just Wyke and Tindle) in a house (nearly the entire film was shot inside the house). A possibly dull thing for most audience. I guess perhaps this was the cause why this movie received poor reviews. A lot compared the 2007 film with the 1972 movie, but according to Harold Pinter the 2007 movie was not of the same plotline with the original Sleuth. So, I think people should see it independently. I haven’t watched the 1972 version yet, that’s why I could look into the 2007 movie independently.

I must say that I really enjoyed Caine and Law’s performance throughout the movie. The pace of the movie was not set physical action, but by battle of words and wits. I could feel the pace accelerated, decelerated, and accelerated again, only by watching the two actors exchanged words. Thus, this flick relied solely on Caine and Law’s acting prowess, not on story. I could not help but impressed how two actors, placed simply in a house (nearly everything happened indoors), could delivered so much enjoyment.

This was not the first time Law filled in Caine’s past role; in Alfie, Law also played a role previously performed by Caine. I also got this odd feeling that Law actually resembled Caine (or was it just my imagination?).

Superb play, well designed movie, but very limited plot could still deliver satisfaction. For such feat, I reward this movie an 8.0.

0 comments: