2008-08-06

The Other Boleyn Girl


Release Year: 2008
Starring: Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson, Eric Bana, Jim Sturgess, Mark Rylance, Kristin Scott Thomas, David Morrissey, Ana Torrent
Directed by: Justin Chadwick
Written by: Philippa Gregory, Peter Morgan
IMDB: 6.8 (11,916 votes)
RT: 42% (131 reviews)
Metacritic: 50 (34 reviews)

Talking about movies with remarkable design, The Other Boleyn Girl was definitely one of them. Rich in color and every shot was definitely of superb quality.

Not only that, the acting was also great. You could surely see this from Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman. Honestly, I believe the actresses played better than the actors in this movie. Even Kristin Scott Thomas and Ana Torrent were excellent despite their minor roles.

The story was adapted from Philippa Gregory’s novel of the same title. I haven’t read the book, but I definitely enjoy the movie. There is also a TV series The Tudors which have the similar setting aired by BBC. I think I would want to have a look at it later on.

The story was not great, actually, but I think it was OK for me. The power of the movie, I believe, lied on the acting and design (including the costumes). Oh, the music was also great.

Finally, to reward actresses’ prowess in this movie, I give this movie an 8.0. This movie is definitely worth watching, but don’t expect spectacular story.

0 comments: