2008-09-01

Nancy Drew


Release Year: 2007
Starring: Emma Roberts, Josh Flitter, Max Thieriot, Rachel Leigh Cook, Tate Donovan, Marshall Bell, Danielle Monet, and Kelly Vitz.
Directed by: Andrew Fleming
Written by: Andrew Fleming & Tiffany Paulsen
IMDB: 5.9 (4,493 votes)
RT: 49% (131 reviews)
Metacritic: 53 (31 reviews)

Not much to be said about Nancy Drew. It’s a story about a somewhat super teenage sleuth Nancy Drew, who moved from River Heights to the big city of Los Angeles where she would find a new mystery to solve. A sleuth with tremendous luck and a great intelligence, Nancy Drew obviously able to solve the case and made everyone happy, except the criminals, obviously.

Like most other films that I’ve watched, I didn’t expect much from this movie because I believe it was just another teen flick. Apparently, I was correct. Overall the plot was just mediocre. I never read any books about Nancy Drew before, but for this movie, I think it could use a lot more serious elements. The absence of those kind of element made this movie more like a sorry comedy. There are always a room to be dark for a crime movie even if its lead character was as jolly as Nancy. In the end, this movie was too light to watch. I was saying that it should be darker, but it doesn’t have to be as dark as the Dark Knight.

On the acting front, there was nothing special about the performance of the cast. Emma Roberts was a rather suitable for the role. She had that adorable yet smart look, and that what could have given her the role of Nancy Drew. I had a thought once, what if Ellen Page was chosen to play the role? That would’ve been great because she had that smart look. But then I dismissed that thought after I think that an adorable face was what needed by the actress. Obviously, Ellen doesn’t have that.

Anyway, there were some slapstick moments here, but in the end, this movie was unable to entertain me. I hope though, the next Nancy’s adventure should be worked on more seriously. Give it a darker atmosphere. Don’t worry about the audience, they could swallow the Dark Knight, they should be able to digest a lighter version of the Dark Knight.

Final score: 4.0.
blog comments powered by Disqus